2020-11-03

GRUB fine-tuning

A couple of years ago, I moved into a new flat that comes with RJ45 sockets wired for 10 Gigabit (but currently offering 1 Gigabit) Ethernet.

This also meant changing the settings on my router box for my new ISP.

I took this opportunity to review my router's other settings too. I'll be blogging about these over the next few posts.

GRUB fine-tuning

One thing that had been annoying me ever since Debian migrated to systemd as /sbin/init is that boot message verbosity hasn't been the same. Previously, the cmdline option quiet merely suppressed the kernel's output to the bootscreen, but left the daemon startup messages alone. Not anymore. Nowadays, quiet produces a blank screen.

After some googling, I found the solution to that:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noquiet loglevel=5"

The former restores daemon startup messages, while the later makes the kernel output only significant notices or more serious messages. On most of my hosts, it mostly reports inconsistencies in the ACPI configuration of the BIOS.

Another setting I find useful is a reboot delay in case a kernel panic happens:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="panic=15"

This gives me enough time to snap a picture of the screen output to attach to the bug report that will follow.

No comments: